Re: Tuxedo?

From: Gary Long <garyl_at_magna.com>
Date: 1997/03/27

zqx_at_siesta.cs.wustl.edu (Zeqing Xia) writes:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>My company is considering using some TP monitor system for transaction
>processing. In particular we are interested in Tuxedo, Encina, etc..
>I wonder if some one with working experience can kindly provide with
>me some advice/lessons on this issue. Below is a list of questions
>that I put together, without much in-depth knowledge of either products:

>1. What is the development time-to-product/market? How long is the
> training process for developers?

Training can be anywhere from 1-3 months depending on the developers' background if you use the TPM from a 3GL. With a high level development tool it can be 2-3 weeks.

>2. What is the cost/staffing requirements in administration?

Normal sys admin function. Plan on about 4+ weeks of learning (2 initial
plus more over time). Once the environment is up and running it isn't too
bad.

>3. How complicated or error-proness of either of the APIs? Tricks and traps?

Nothing too unusual in the APIs -- *That's not the problem*.

Traps? Watch out for the amount of time the developers spend *not* with the
APIs but all the mechanics behind the scenes -- building and re-building servers for instance. This is where the overhead can suprise you!

>4. Is there any performance problem with the two-phase commit with a
> RDBMS backend? Can I do 50, 100/sec inserts and updates to two or three
> databases at the same time?

Yes you can do this. You will get a slight performance overhead, which is
to be expected. Absolutely worth the overhead.

>5. What about the future of the products? CORBA? Is Orcle/Sybase/Micrsoft
> doing anything in this area?

Excellent future. Don't worry about future CORBA support, it will happen
for sure. Realize that until ORBs acquire transactional support (OTS extension) and some history with it, there not suitable for heavy duty TP. This is coming -- see Transarc's web page for instance for the early
Encina/Orbix release.

>6. Are the APIs object-oriented or rather low-level buffer/offset counting
> stuff? How can I incorporate that into an distributed OO app framework?

Not low level, normal 3GL. You'll have encapsulated, isolated services from the start. Though not yet full OO (no polymorphism, etc.).

>7. How long does it take to have a proof of concept and the decision
> making procedure?

How fast do you make decisions? :-)

Proof of concept time is governed by learning time, again a tool helps a lot.

>Again, thanks very much for your help. Your suggestions and advice are
>highly, highly appreciated.
>

>Fred Xia

Brief commercial message: Take a look at our application generator, it is saving our Encina and Tuxedo customers a lot of time.

  • Gary
Gary Long                                                glong_at_magna.com
Vice President
Magna Software Corporation                           Phone: 703/385-1005
3975 University Drive                                  Fax: 703/385-0084
Fairfax, Virginia 22030

"MAGNA X" CS/TP Application Generator: www.magna.com or info_at_magna.com Received on Thu Mar 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message