Re: Performance on NT: Oracle vs. SQLServer?

From: John T. McKay <jmckay_at_imnet.com>
Date: 1997/03/26

doug a blaisdell wrote:

> Hi out there!
>
> We're trying to decide between Oracle and SQL server, for a DSS database with
> about 200 Meg of data now, but much larger soon (eg 1 Gig). We've got a dual
> processor with 128 Meg (but could increase this), running NT 4.0.
>
> I've heard that Oracle doesn't run as fast on NT, as on UNIX. Have any of you
> had experience with either/both, or know of performance benchmarks of Oracle
> vs. NT??
>
> Any help appreciated...

I have used both Oracle and SQL Server on NT and have found SQL Server to be faster (in ways) but Oracle to be a bit more robust. You'll hear a lot of different advice with a question like this one. However, I would say it all depends on what you need. To me, SQL Server is like a Chevy pickup truck and Oracle is like a Freightliner. They are both built to carry loads. With the Freightliner, you can carry a bigger, heavier load, but you don't have the excelleration and maneuverability that you would with a smaller truck. It's just a matter of what you need your RDBMS to do and where you need it's strengths/weaknesses to be.

Hope that helps,

John Received on Wed Mar 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message