Re: Is it possible to decrypt a redo log?

From: Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.com>
Date: 1997/03/21

NGR wrote:

> I'd really appreciate some help on the practicality of trying to glean
> information from archived redo logs (Oracle v7.2.2). We have a vendor
> package that runs on Oracle/AIX. On the last cycle, it did something
> unpleasant with our payroll, and nobody (least of all the vendor!) can
> offer an explanation. We restored a cold backup from a prior night and
> reran data entry and batch processing - this time it worked fine.
> Naturally, my management (definitely members of the pointy-haired
> Dilbert variety), are demanding that I somehow "reconstruct" the
> sequence of events during the bad run by "reading" the archived redo
> logs from that time period. Now I'm a mainframe DBA, with Oracle as my
> fourth DBMS to support and all I can remember from my one week of
> training was that the redo logs contained parsed SQL that was suitable
> for high-speed processing by Oracle in a recovery situation. The manulas
> are suitably cryptic and keep darting from volume to volume.Is there a
> reasonable way to "cherchez la bug" through redo logs, or should I tell
> management to take a flying leap and apply for one of the many Oracle
> DBA jobs advertised in this newsgroup?
> thanks in advance,
> "Pissed in Portland"

Well, if you have an entire backup of "Before" the crash AND the redo logs that were generated between the backup and the crash you can restore to a point in time just before the "Crash". The problem is seeing the EXACT set of sequences that the REDO process is doing. There may be a visible log file while things are being replayed but I don't know it off the top of my head (Think I'll look Monday). But I assume since you didn't restore with the archived redo logs, you probably don't have them???

If you think you can tell them to take the "Leap" I'd go for it (just kidding (;>}! If I find anything I'll post it O.K. Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message