SQL*Net V2 (DECNet on VMS)

From: David Jones <david_j.jones_at_virgin.net>
Date: 1997/03/13

Please help if you can.

I get error 12500 TNS: remote server cannot start dedicated process (please forgive my inaccuracy). Depending on which user starts the listener process.

We are running:

	Oracle V7.1
	VMS 5.5
            SQL*Net 2 Decnet

I have 2 users defined, say X and Y and machine A in the same UIC group. Machine B needs to access the remote data on A.

User X is DBA and installed the Oracle system software and required SQL*Net config files, this is used for general administration.

User Y also has DBA privilege (and identifier at system level). Customers log into a captive DCL menu with this user to perform backup, database shutdown and startup functions.

If I start the listener in user X, users on machine B can access data on A with no problems. However, if started by user Y, I get the 12500 error.

Monitoring the processes on A, I see a dedicated process start (TNS***) eating CPU which drops when the error is received on B.

I have tried a loopback test, accessing the data locally through SQL*Net with the same results.
I have given user Y SYSPRV (access of god) with no change. I have tried starting the listener interactively in user Y and again no change.

thanks
Dave.

david_j.jones_at_virgin.net Received on Thu Mar 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message