Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Duncan Simpson <dps96r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/03/04

Stephane Lajeunesse <slajeunesse_at_sympatico.ca> writes:

>Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:
>>
>> 1. We want a Linux version of Oracle 8 please !

>Yes.. We all want it!

>FWIW, I talked to somebody at Oracle about a Linux release of Oracle
>Workgroup server. Is reply to me was that they were afraid of the fact
>that Linux is a 'moving target'. What scares them is the fact that the
>Unix admin can recompile a new kernel when the newest version is
>released thus possibly breaking the Oracle server itself. This for them
>is not what they want. They want something more stable (kernel version,
>library version). On the other hand, isn't this what Caldera is doing?
>Giving anybody who whishes to develop for Linux commercially a 'stable'
>non-moving platform???

And the movement is slower that Oracle think. I used to have some binaries from SLS 1.03 (0.99pl13) and they worked w.o. any problems. Oracle could fix on 2.0.x and just support that---my bets are it would still eork fine in 2.1.x and possibly 1.2.x There are lots of solutions. (My ancient copy of BRU still works too).

Duncan (-: Received on Tue Mar 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message