Wanted: Senior Database Programmer for Music/Film

From: Michael Erlewine <michael_at_TheNewAge.com>
Date: 1997/03/04

Wanted: SENIOR DATABASE PROGRAMMER (ON-SITE) Wanted: Video Editor-in-Chief / Database Expert (On-site)

Greetings,

I am the executive editor of the All-Movie Guide and All-Music Guide, large  film and music databases. Our data is featured in books (Videohound & All-Movie Guide Stargazer, All-Music Guides to Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, etc.), CD-ROMs (Blockbuster Guide to Movies, Billboard Guide to Music, Corel All-Movie Guide, Corel All-Music Guide, etc.), commercial online services (CompuServe, MSN, AOL), and most of the major Internet music stores (CDnow, Firefly, Music Boulevard, Music Now, etc.). You are welcome to check out our web site at AllMovie.com. It gets over 500,000 page views per day.

Below are two on-site jobs that may interest some of you. Please feel free to check out our web site and/or a list of other job opportunities at Matrix Software. There is also some information on the community of Big Rapids, Michigan.

Web Site is at 'http://AllMusic.com'
More jobs at 'http://thenewage.com/jobs/jobs.htm'

Thanks,

       Michael Erlewine, Matrix/AMG

Address responses by email to 'Michael_at_thenewage.com' or phone my assistant Forest Ray to set up a phone call at 616 796 6398.

SENIOR DATABASE PROGRAMMER (ON-SITE) This is a high-level full time position. An individual must be an ambitious, dependable, and independent worker. The duties of the AMG Senior Database Programmer include the overall design, management, maintenance and client specific distribution of AMG databases (music, video, etc.) We produce databases for online areas, books and CD-ROMS, and in-print stuff of all kinds. We need a bright, hard-working person to be a member of our programming/management team.

Required skills (in order of importance):
- experience in both Windows/Windows NT programming

  • project management experience
  • data collection/manipulation skills
  • experience in programming and maintaining a large relational database
  • experience in reading/writing database script
  • Internet experience
  • Web site administration and development

Desired skills:
- experience with FoxPro

  • good writing and English skills
  • hardware installation/maintenance experience
  • music and film industry background
  • personal knowledge of film and music

Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- supervision of a group of programmers

  • writing database scripts
  • writing programs/applications in various languages (FoxPro, Delphi, C++, etc.)
  • support and maintenance of new and existing programs and applications
  • coordination and integration of data-streams (from a raw data to the final integration into the database)
  • communication with AMG customers and determination of their needs and requirements
  • communication with AMG suppliers and critical evaluation of their offerings
  • preparing data for specific customer needs - custom outputs
  • AMG web site administration and maintenance
  • AMG FTP site administration and maintenance
  • AMG mail server administration and maintenance
  • Web development - data preparation, scripts, programs, software configuration
  • design and supervision of the regular AMG processes (data shipments, updates, database maintenance)
  • setting up projects and following them through
  • interface and coordination between AMG programmers and editors
  • coordination of the work load of AMG programmers
  • design and development of new data processing and data presentation technologies
  • AMG LAN design and administration
  • determination of AMG hardware needs and requirements
  • recommendations for hardware and software purchases
  • review and evaluation of new tools and technologies
  • hands-on database work like cleaning, linking, updating

Video Editor-in-Chief / Database Expert (On-site)

The duties of the AMG Video Editor-in-Chief include the overall management and maintenance of the video (film and TV) database. It's a full time on-site job. We produce databases for online areas, books and CD-ROMS, and in-print stuff of all kinds. We need a bright, hard-working person to be a member of our editorial/programming team.

Position involves both supervision of on-site staff & writers and reviewers who work off-site. In addition to the intellectual content of the position, it involves hands-on database work of a very detailed nature - cleaning, linking, updating.

Required skills (in order of importance):
- good writing and English skills

  • project management experience
  • data collection/manipulation skills
  • experience working with a large relational database
  • experience in reading/writing database script
  • knowledge of film and film personalities

Desired skills:
- experience with FoxPro

  • familiarity with German and Romance languages
  • programming experience