Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/03/03

Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.com> writes:

>Dosen't matter-it's what people are willing to plunk their money down
>for! We can debate all we want-that dosen't change the facts. I doubt
>Oracle will port to LINUX any time soon (or ever) and THAT is what this
>thread is about-not what I think of LINUX (I like it). I just think
>that as an O/S, UNIX is very fragmented (and always has been) and THAT'S
>where MicroSoft has an advantage. It certainly dosen't have a better
>product, just one that looks and feels the same to everyone that uses
>it! I doubt Bill Gates spend 1 second worrying about LINUX-I sure it's
>less than a knat in his field of vision. By the way, I don't see much
>other commercial S/W ported to LINUX either, wonder why that is?

Netscape Navigator was available for Linux years before it was available for Solaris X86. As for databases there are at least 5 major commercial databases available for Linux. Checkout the Linux Commercial Apps homepage, last time I checked there were tons of commercial applications there. And that number is increasing very rapidly as more and more companies are realizing the power of Linux.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Mon Mar 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message