NT vrs UNIX was: Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: joe minnich <jminnich_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/03/02

Some additional comments:

You have to remember that Linux and FreeBSD, BSDI, etc. versions of UNIX are best for network services servers like mail, dns, web servers etc. The source code for FreeBSD is freely available and very well supported. BSDI is a commercially supported version similar in nature. Cannot comment on Linux.

And it is true ... these OS are fare better supported and stable that that piece of horse pokey Gates is selling. But you have to remember that Microsoft has lots of snake oil men out running around selling dog dirt.

As far as ORACLE on NT : NT is a product that enjoys great paperware at the hands of the MS printing press ... it still has a long way to go. I would not run my real databases on it if my life depended on it. The ISV backup products are not mature yet. Neither is the OS. Sure it has a common interface, run setup, its up and running like a knife through butter. It also melts as quickly as butter when some vendors other product stomps all over you ddl's behind you back.

Toay UNIX is the only rock solid industrial strength OS for critial midrange database servers. I might consider deploying NT as a departmental application server for LAN based applications. Its great for that. Basically a Lan Manager hairball excellorator on steroids. Also might not be a bad development platform. ORACLE enterprise server can be put on a 4XP6 NT platform cheaper that a UNIX server. The WEB tools also appear to be maturing quickly under NT. Given time it will mature.