Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/03/01

Anybody who calls Linux a vanilla Unix has either never used it or just dont know what Unix is.

Its not only a feature rich OS, its extremely reliable and runs circles around any other flavor of Unix I have ever tried. Linux is the least Vaniall OS you'll find anywhere. And yes it does come with better commercial support than what you would get from Ordinary Unix vendors like Sun and IBM. There are several companies that do nothing but support Linux. Certainly they dont think that Linux users are too poor.

Byte Benchmark results on the net also support the fact that its almost twice as fast as Solaris.

We once hired a consultant to administer our Solaris machines. He was extremely anti-Linux person. He later admitted that he had never used Linux. It is my belief that some people who have acquired a skill administring an OS will put down other Operating Systems. Like Novell CNEs sligning mud on NT and MS NT Certified professionals claiming Unix to be a joke, this guy was making fun of Linux. The consultant ended up getting fired for lack of competence. Since then I have developed this thing against people who spout crap about products that they know nothing about.

Anybody who thinks Oracle costs several thousands should visit their store : http://www.oracle.com/OracleStore/oawa/Doc.Show?session=164379&doc_name=software/wgs.html

Its $1475 for the Oracle Workgroup Server. I know of several products for Linux that cost more than that.

Companies like www.solidtech.com, stronghold.c2.net, www.caldera.com www.stardiv.de and Netscape etc. have less resources than Netscape to waste. But they choose to support Linux. If all Linux users were really looking for freebies then how come these and other companies have decided to continue to support Linux when they have been dropping other platforms ?

The only answer that I can think of is that there are too many marketing types out there who know much less than they think they do.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Sat Mar 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message