Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.com>
Date: 1997/02/28

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.com> writes:
>
> >Doubt that, most people using Linux don't have the money for Oracle (too
> >expensive, but I do like it).
>
> I have bought Oracle for Solaris, what makes you think I cant buy Oracle for
> Linux ?
>
> Also what makes you think that most Linux users are poor ? Linux is choice
> of intelligent and informed people.
>
> I have all the Operating Systems available to me, including Solaris, SCO, Irix,
> Digital Unix and NT and I have used almost all of them. I choose Linux ! If
> somebody thinks I do it because I cant afford anything else then they have
> a hole in their head.
>
> Atif Khan
> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Experience, most people I've known that use LINUX were looking for freebies. I don't know anything about that hole in YOUR head but all I was saying is that Oracle is expensive and that MANY people who use it won't pop the several THOUSAND DOLLARS for Oracle to put on top of LINUX. I think LINUX is OK (for the most part). Many companies that pop for ORACLE want vendor support of the O/S it sits on in case of incompatibilities between the O/S and the database. I doubt that Oracle will put much effort into a relatively unsupported O/S even though it really is a fairly vanilla UNIX.

All the companies I worked for, at, or in conjuction with had 0 Linux installed. The only people I've seen with it were/are individuals who did NOT want to spend the several THOUSAND dollars on a supported flavor of UNIX. That's just my experience, your mileage may vary! Received on Fri Feb 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message