Re: Sun Ultra vs. NT Server

From: netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/02/20

Arend van der Veen wrote:

> Someone is trying to convince me that I can support and query an oracle
> database that is 100MB+ on a NT Server. I think they are nuts. They
> are also trying to convince me that I can store upto about a terabyte on
> a NT server before I really need to upgrade to a work station (like a
> Sun Ultra). I think they are reading to much MS propaganda.
>
> So the questions are what should the breaking point be when scaling up
> from an NT server to something more powerful like a Sun Ultra and what
> is the practical file size limit for NT.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arend van der Veen
> UTRS
Well, I hate NT. But a 100+ MB database is tiny, very tiny in fact by Oracle standards. So I would say yes, and NT 4 Pentium machine could handle this and deliver reasonable performance, depending on your disk drive subsystem configuration (what I mean to say is that like with all Oracle database, get a few disk drives for that NT box). When should you consider a larger machine? It hard to give a direct answer to that question, all I will say is you will know when your NT box is out of gas by the way it preforms (again, assuming you don't plan on running Oracle on it with only two disk drives). Received on Thu Feb 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message