Re: ORACLE ... the best???

From: Jensen Langford - Sun UK - Contractor <jensen.langford_at_uk.sun.com>
Date: 1997/02/18

Michel NADEAU wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are examining two differents solutions for our University
> administratives needs. One that runs on ORACLE and the other one on
> UniData.
>
> The vendor of one of the solution maintain that the reason that they
> offer a superior product, it's because they use the ORACLE database.
> It's representative goes on telling us that ORACLE is the best because
> they own 45% of the RDMS market. I remember that in the 70's, you could
> say the same thing about "Big Blue" owning 95% of the financial
> institutions market. The reason was not because they we're good, it's
> because they we're there first!!! A lot of them still uses IBM because
> they want to protect there investment.
>
> Do anyone have information comparing the UniData RDMS to
> Oracle's, or the real reasons why ORACLE is such a great product.
>
> Thank you very much for your help,
>
> --
> Michel N. NADEAU
> Universite de Moncton, campus d'Edmundston
> 165, boulevard Hebert
> Edmundston, N.-B. (Canada)
> E3V 2S8
> Telephone: (1-506) 737-5042
> Telecopieur: (1-506) 737-5400 ou 5373
> Courriel: mnadeau_at_cuslm.ca

Michel

I have experience of Oracle and Informix as a developer and database administrator. I've heard arguments and discussions about who is the best many times, at the of the day most RDBMS products will perform well enough for most business needs.

My only advice would be to consider how you plan to staff for this project. Do you have Unidata experience? if not I would suggest it may be difficult to find people that do know it.

I would say that although some Oracle products are a bit naff, the database is solid, and you can garantee Oracle has its finger on the pulse for the latest market trends such at Internet solutions etc. Received on Tue Feb 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message