Re: How do you save in SQL?

From: <all_at_spammers.must.die>
Date: 1997/02/18

> sears_at_koyote.com wrote:
>
>Hi, I am a beginner studying SQL databases in Oracle, and
>running into little annoying problems. First, here is
>the senario. To acess Oracle, I telnet from home to
>my school Unix account. The problem is that my telnet
>locks up every time without warning, and I have to close ...

<<snipped>>

Since you are in UNIX, use a shell script and embed the SQL you need into a "here" document as follows: (get a good book on Shell Scripting if you need to). You will need to make the script self
executing (#!/bin/sh on first line). Example below

  #!/bin/sh
  sqlplus USER/PASS_at_SERVER <<!
  insert into garbage
    values ("junk","crap","etc.");
  !

Then nohup it in the background, redirecting output as follows:

nohup script.ksh > script.out 2>&1 &

Your session can drop all it likes, cause the jobs is now running in the background. I do this all the time 'cause the network stinks here and my sessions always drop ..

Brgds,

-Mike.
real e-mail: mmiller_at_crusoe.net Received on Tue Feb 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message