Re: help: INTERNAL user now asking for password

From: Coburn Watson <cpw_at_slip.net>
Date: 1997/02/12

Frank Barbarino wrote:

> Got an Oracle Question for you: (just fyi this is Oracle
> 7.2.3.2 on HP-UX 9.07).
> The internal user historically did not have a password.
> Last week it suddenly appeared with one and I couldn't
> restart the instance. I have since done a full re-install
> and re-import. Today the same thing happened - only this time the
> instance is still running (I just cant shut it down or restart
> after a re-boot) any clues as to why server manager is now
> asking for a password for the internal user.
> btw - I tried all the default ones - manager/oracle/system
> dba, etc...
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Frank Barbarino
> barbarin_at_hawking.westcon.prc.com
> Litton PRC

Svrmgr, and sqldba for that point, allow you to connect as internal even when the instance is shutdown, hence no avialability to user stats/password data w/in the database. To validate your login to svrmgr, and allow a connect as internal without password your username you are logged in under must belong to the "dba" group in your Unix /etc/groups file. I had this problem before with someone, of course I had explicity removed them from the dba group for exactly that reason. Some people don't associate that you can still have the dba role within an instance, even if your name isn't in the /etc/groups under dba. Hope this helps.

Coburn Watson
Info. Systems Support - Research
Scios,Inc.
cpw_at_slip.net

p.s. my own silly opinions, not my companies..... Received on Wed Feb 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message