Re: Informix vs Oracle, alleged trade secret theft

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1997/02/05

In article <32f7f86e.10074673_at_146.178.74.10> csimich_at_mail.ue.com.au (Christian Simich) writes:
>On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:54:33 GMT, Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no (Nils
>Myklebust) wrote:
>
>>I spesifically do not want to take this discussion about the
>>philosophical (ethical) issues much further her in c.d.i. Although it
>>affects us all there is a limit to how far we should discuss this kind
>>of topic here in a technical newsgroup. Other facts about this case
>>are of course interesting.
>>All I will say therefore is that I agree with a some of what Christian
>>wrote and disagree with most. Now beeing an employer have nothing to
>>do with this. I had the same opinions when I for many years where an
>>employee. Check your premises and you may see it.

Nobody here but us chickens! :)

>>Hope this ends it. Otherwise it should definitly be taken offline.
>>

>>csimich_at_mail.ue.com.au (Christian Simich) wrote:
>>
>>:On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:42:12 GMT, Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no (Nils
>>:Myklebust) wrote:
>>:

 [Much snipped]
>>:>netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>:>
>>Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no
>>NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway
>>My opinions are those of my company
>>The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org
>

>After some deliberation, I decided to respond to Nils. I appreciate
>his view that he does not want to carry the discussion further. And I
>am not going to take that discussion further.
>
>The reason for response is Nils' comment that this is not a forum for
>the "philosophical (ethical) issues".
>
>Many in this thread have been addressing the non-technical issues (to
>my delight). Even Nils' article, what prompted me to respond, used
>the word 'free' several times, including the 'free country'. His and
>most of the other articles addressed legal, political, economical and
>I guess "philosophical (ethical) issues". I believe it's OK.

You may not realize that this is being cross-posted to comp.databases.oracle. That happens to be a recently obsoleted group, replaced by a hierarchy. Among the hierarchy is cdo.misc, which is the normal discussion area for Oracle issues. I think it is a good idea to break a technical group into a hierarchy like this, but there are difficulties convincing people to post in the correct group. I did not change the newsgroups when I first saw this thread, as it seemed to be flamebait. Something for all you other groups to consider.

>Professionals should discuss these issues, and the technical forums
>are where we 'meet'. Actually, this thread proved to be quiet
>popular.

I assume you meant quite, as quiet would be sarcasm! :)

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>