Re: Informix vs Oracle, alleged trade secret theft

From: Christian Simich <csimich_at_mail.ue.com.au>
Date: 1997/02/05

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:54:33 GMT, Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no (Nils Myklebust) wrote:

> [...]

>:against the PERSONAL FREEDOM - to go and work for whomever one wants
>:to.
>:
>:Not everyone is lucky or capable enough to start and work for their
>:own business. If that was the case, we would not discuss this. There
>:will be no employees to sign the contracts.
>:
>:Luckily, I suspect that this kind of contract, even if signed by a
>:person, may not be binding in some countries. If anyone from
>:Australia is reading this, could you comment please.
>:
>:I heard of a ridiculous case of contracts in USA where the employees
>:of some food chain company had to sign that, from memory, they will
>:not work for a competitor in 10 miles radius from any of the outlets
>:of their current company. It proved, that being a big chain, present
>:in many spots, these radii would cover viruatlly the whole town in
>:an area.
>:
>:I agree that theoretically one does not have to sign the contract and
>:may look elsewhere for the job. In practice, if many companies start
>:putting this type of clauses in, there would be no practical choice.
>:
>:No offence Nils, but would you argue for the FREEDOM to buy slaves?
>:
>:These contracts are almost like the old feudal laws, if you ask me.
>:
>:As a final word, the area is hard, and both employees and employers
>:need to be protected.
>:
>: If an employee has not stolen anything in from the company, the
>:knowledge itself should not make a great difference. There is much
>:more to commercial success these days then just the knowledge in one's
>:head: Marketing, sales channels, QA, productivity and strong
>:financial backing worked many times for the inferior technologies.
>:
>:After all, who can stop a former or disgruntled employee doing a
>:'brain dump', over a cup of coffee, to someone working for a
>:competitor?
>:
>:Contracts cannot replace the ethics, and believe it or not, many
>:people are still strongly guided by this kind of old-fashioned
>:feeling.
>:
>:
>:
>:--
>:Christian Simich, Melbourne, Australia
>:
>:All opinions and statements expressed in this forum are mine
>:and mine only and should not be attributed to my current
>:employer or interpreted as support to any commercial
>:interests.
>
>Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no
>NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway

After some deliberation, I decided to respond to Nils. I appreciate his view that he does not want to carry the discussion further. And I am not going to take that discussion further.

The reason for response is Nils' comment that this is not a forum for the "philosophical (ethical) issues".

Many in this thread have been addressing the non-technical issues (to my delight). Even Nils' article, what prompted me to respond, used the word 'free' several times, including the 'free country'. His and most of the other articles addressed legal, political, economical and I guess "philosophical (ethical) issues". I believe it's OK.

Professionals should discuss these issues, and the technical forums are where we 'meet'. Actually, this thread proved to be quiet popular.

 I'd like to see the comments on what others think about using technical forums for non-technical, yet vital issues for the professionals.

Regards,

Christian

PS

Nils,

I spent one of best 8 months of my life in Norway and Denmark. Lovely countries and even lovelier people. And most tolerant I ever met.

So I hope you would put up with my mischief of answering (on a somewhat different topic) and would not get too frustrated :-)

Planning to go to Scandinavia in cc 6 months, we could possibly have a cup of coffee and discuss the topic further ;-)