Re: Import 7.2

From: Juergen Ludwig <lg_at_teknon.de>
Date: 1997/01/30

Ian Lunam wrote:

> Yeah,
>
> Ok. I'd had one drink to many that night.
>
> I have a problem trying to export from 7.3 and import into 7.2.
>
> The problem is mainly around trying to get the index creations from being
> bitmap indexes to be just indexes so that 7.2 can understand.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ian.

Hi, thanks for your answer, also to the other Replies. I just went to the doctor to get same new glasses. But even that didn't help to re-read your article.

Ok, your problem might be solved with a 'work around': Go to the administration tool bar of 7.3 (seven point three!), start the Orcale Data Manager. There you can export only the Indexes of your tables (Group Objects To Export: check only Indexes!). If you look at the produced file (with DOS-Edit, not with Notepad!!!) you will find 'create index ...' lines you can use for a script, that even 7.2 should be able to run:

Example from one of my tables:

TABLE "COMPONENT_LIST"
CREATE TABLE "COMPONENT_LIST" ("COMPONENT_LIST_ID" NUMBER(8, 0), "WORDID" NUM ....
CREATE INDEX "I_CL_WID" ON "COMPONENT_LIST" ("WORDID" ) PCTFREE 10 INITRANS ....
CREATE INDEX "I_CL_COG" ON "COMPONENT_LIST" ("COGROUP" ) PCTFREE 10 INITRANS ..... change that to:
CREATE INDEX "I_CL_WID" ON "COMPONENT_LIST" ("WORDID" ); CREATE INDEX "I_CL_COG" ON "COMPONENT_LIST" ("COGROUP" ); So all you have to do is:
1. Export the indexes the way I explained above 2. Use a certain text-Editor to get rid of the control-characters on

   the beginning of the export.
3. write a little program (or do it by typing) to get the lines

   beginning with 'CREATE INDEX' an truncate them after the first ')' 4. Add a ';' to that lines
5. Start that created script from your 7.2 (seven point two) Database.

Hope that helps, hope I read it well this time, hope the best... ;-)

Juergen Ludwig Received on Thu Jan 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message