SQL*NET problem?

From: Patricia Rodriguez-Tome <tome_at_uranus.ebi.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/01/27

Hello,

I have a problem somewhere in my configuration (I suppose) that I cannot resolve.

The config :

OS : Solaris 2.5
Compiler C++ : Sun Workshop 4.2
Oracle libs : 7.3.2.2
SQL*NET : V2.2 (i think = the last one?)

My database server is on Digital Unix, same version.

I can connect to that server by using : Oraperl(perl5), oratcl, pro*c programs that I write. We have bought a product to map c++ classes to relational, and if I write programs with their libraries, I can also connect to the database

But if I use one program they provide , I get the following error message :

Oracle Data Dictionary is being read. Please wait... [ Oracle LDA Error : Number -12203
Message: ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination ,offset: 0

which for me looks like an sql*net error of not being able to get to the server?

I had the same kind of error with sybase (but I was only trying isql to connect,
and an external program for which I do not have the src) and it was because we had an old version of the interfaces files (the equiv
of tnsnames.ora) that sybase original progs could read but obviously not those
who were compiled with not telling them to read obsolete files (;-)

So I am wondering if I could have here the same problem : Since I am almost the only one here working from solaris - we had just copied the tnsnames.ora file from dec to solaris.

Is that the problem? Is there a specific format for solaris different of the others? Where should I look to find what is wrong?

Any hints, idea suggestions will be more than welcome

Regards,

Pat R.-Tome

Dr. Patricia Rodriguez-Tome		| URL:  http://www.ebi.ac.uk
The EMBL Outstation, Hinxton - The European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust genome Campus, Hinxton	| Tel:	+44 (0)1223 494 409
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK			| Fax:	+44 (0)1223 494 468