Re: Oracle Web Server & PL/SQL

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/22

Javier,

Before understanding how PL/SQL and Oracle Web Server were intertwined, I had this same sentiment. After using this for a while, I now appreciate the power of this implementation.

I used to think that I would first use some other editor (Hot Dog, Hot Metal, etc.), figure out how I want my page to look, and then *re*-implement in the PL/SQL packages. After a couple iterations like this, you start to know your PL/SQL packages, start to know HTML, and just modify the PL/SQL directly.

Where this truly shines is when you need to do dynamic modification of the HTML, *based upon the data being displayed* in the HTML page. Let's say, for example, that you are creating pages which are salary summary reports. Every entry in the salary HTML-table that is over $50K, you want to be in red. For one, if you did this via static HTML, this could not even be an option. You would first have to run your report, then dynamically modify the page. If you wanted to somehow do this dynamically, then you would need to do this via CGI, and now you need to understand Perl, VB, or whatever. If you already know PL/SQL, it becomes trivial to make data-dependent modifications to your page....and in my opinion, this is pretty powerful stuff.

If all you are ever going to do is *static* HTML pages, not containing any data from a database, then I guess I don't see the reason to use Oracle Web Server.

On 21 Jan 1997 03:17:49 GMT, "Javier Paez" <jpaez_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hi, I have a question about the use of database access from an Oracle web
>server to an oracle database using PL SQL. An external company programmed
>our site with database access using these products, but we noticed that in
>order to change any HTML code such as a word or background color, we have
>to do it in the Oracle program which contains the HTML code, so the process
>to modify our pages is to modify our HTML first, then in the Oracle program
>we have to cut the old html code, and paste the new one.
>Is this the way Oracle is supposed to work, I've been told that using
>Microsoft products, we could've achieved the same results, but with a much
>easy to use and maintain environment, is this true?
>
>Thanks
>--
>Javier Paez
>jpaez_at_earthlink.net

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Creating the networked society!
Oracle Government          http://govt.us.oracle.com
Bethesda, MD
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message