Code walkthroughs for 4GL forms/reports (Oracle)

From: Glenn Holliday <ghollida_at_kgo.csc.com>
Date: 1997/01/16

I'm hunting references, articles, or success stories about doing some flavor of walkthroughs, reviews, or inspections with Oracle Forms and Reports spec files.

I have some ideas, largely based on work that's been done with walkthroughs of expert systems. But the Oracle stuff is also as different from expert systems as both are from the kind of things you traditionally walk through. I expect any work that's been done with other vendors' high-level CASE products would be relevant.

Although in some ways using the high-level forms and report tools are simpler than writing lines of code, the spec files you end up with combine hundreds of graphics, layout elements, code snippets and applets. Complexity is exactly where bugs arise in 3GL code. Some of the form and report files in this application are more than 2 Mb big, and we know there are bugs in there.

Thanks for any references.

--
Glenn Holliday ghollida_at_kgo.csc.com
Computer Sciences Corporation