Re: Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Martyn Richard Jones <martyn1_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/01/12

Craig Hardy <hardyc_at_earthlink.net> writes: > Martyn Richard Jones wrote:

> > Ken Mcdonald <kmcdona_at_watson.wustl.edu> writes: > OK, I realize that this is going to be a provocative subject, but
> > > I really would appreciate advice. Our group has to decide on a
> > > database soon, and we don't know whether to go with Sybase or
> > > Oracle. Clearly Oracle has the lead in the marketplace--but is
> > > it a better product?
> >
> > Hi Ken:
> >
> > Yes. For Data Warehouse projects I wouldn't use anything else
> > if I always had the last say.
> >
> > > So, if you know enough about certain features of Sybase vs. Oracle
> > > to comment on them, and feel strongly that one is better than the
> > > other in some way, please drop me a line. Thanks for the advice!
> >
> > Ease of use. Clean concepts and underlying philosophies.
> > Complete and tightly coupled integration of RDBMS technologies,
> > not just bolted on features. Very powerful database engine in the
> > right hands.
> >
> > I've used Oracle7 on almost 35 Data Warehouse projects, and it's
> > always been my first choice in RDBMS.
> >
> > Martyn Jones
> > Iniciativa para Data Warehouse
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ken McDonald
> > > email: kmcdona_at_watson.wustl.edu
> > > --
> > > ========================================
> > > Kenneth McDonald
> > > Genome Sequencing Center
> > > Washington University School of Medicine
> > >
> > > Phone: 314-286-1831
> > > ========================================
>
> Ease of use?! What have you been smoking? I am a former Oracle DBA.
> Working with the O-word motivated me to seek employment with Sybase
> Professional Services. Every task is cumbersome with Oracle, and it
> just seems to fall right into place with Sybase. Wouldn't touch Oracle
> now if you doubled my salary. Just my opinions...
>
> Craig Hardy
> Corning Nichols Institute

Okay it's all relative. I think that the tougher the challenge the easier that Oracle is as a RDBMS relative to the overall complexity of the project - I haven't found this with any other RDBMS, and only thing that approached this in the early 80's was Sperry Univacs MAPPER product.

Some of the DW projects that I worlked on involved as little as a week of DW and Oracle7 consulting.

Martyn Jones
Iniciativa para Data Warehouse
San Lorenzo de El Escorial

THE DATA WAREHOUSE EXPERTS IN SPAIN Received on Sun Jan 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message