Re: Need to create a highly secured database

From: Richard Latham <os2user_at_lathamr3.dfw.ibm.com>
Date: 1997/01/09

In <32D2B25A.71B_at_glaxowellcome.com>, jmj22026_at_glaxowellcome.com writes:
>There is no need to buy anything extra to do this
>job. You can use roles to do everything needed.
>Just create your users with only the connect
>privilage and grant them 0 quota ( this way they
>can not create anything ). Then create your roles
>and grant the needed access ( ie., select, insert,
>update, delete as needed ) to the roles. Then
>grant the needed roles to each user.
>
>John Jones
>Oracle Consultant
>jmj22026_at_glaxowellcome.com

I presumed (possibly incorrectly) from the original question that the sysadmins and/or DB admins were not "trusted parties", so any authentication/authorization scheme allowing someone with system level wide read ability would fail the requirement ... i.e. encryption of fields in the DB would be required.

#include <disclaimer.std> /* I don't speak for IBM, etc ... */

Richard Latham - IBM - lathamr_at_vnet.ibm.com

<<foo to the newsserver>> Received on Thu Jan 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message