Re: Unknown database format

From: David P.C. Wollmann <ibmstuff_at_oknet.com>
Date: 1997/01/06

You can always try opening the files in a browser and looking for text strings that might identify the source application. If that doesn't help, you might talk to Tools & Techniques and see if you can upload samples to their ftp site so can have a look and try to ID them for you.

I second the endorsement of DataJunction, it's a great product. I would be MUCH happier with it if they would rewrite it in C++ and use threads.h++ to make it a little more considerate about other programs running on the box...running a conversion to Access format puts Win95 to sleep, and makes it impossible to run any other jobs. Conversions to one tier formats aren't as bad, but it still bogs the system down.

To be fair, there is a way to make the Access ODBC driver do a "fast insert" update to a table, which keeps the target database open, and is supposed to be about 6x faster than the standard insert, which opens and closes the target database on each insert. I haven't figured out if it's possible to do this with SQL from DataJunction or not, if anyone knows, please pass on the info.

Cheers!

gilblais_at_tiac.net wrote in article <5ajlpi$pst_at_news-central.tiac.net>...