Re: Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Yuan John Jiang <yjj_at_mci.net>
Date: 1997/01/06

Daniel S. Hayes wrote:

> To start off, you assumed incorrectly; Sybase is faster than Oracle. I

Sybase has the reputation of raw speed. But what happens when you have simultaneous updates and record locking is involved? I heard that Sybase locks the whole table whereas Oracle only locks the record. Is it true.

I don't have extensive experience with either product. Yet, I'm also at the position to select one. We need some sort of replicated or distributed database with several sites across the country. Some tables require almost instantaneous synchronization with simultaneous writes/updates whereas others can afford less frequent (~ 1 hour) synchronization.

The network communication among the sites need to be secure since the traffic goes through the public Internet.

I know both Sybase and Oracle can do replication. But how do they compare in terms of replication speed and security? Which one fits the requirements better?

Thanks.

John Received on Mon Jan 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message