Re: ANNOUNCING: CROSSPOSTED SPAM SPAM SPAM

From: Leon Guzenda <LGuzenda_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/12/27

 <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> writes:

> >> ANNOUNCING: New Release

> >APPARENTLY THE CHRISTMAS SEASON HAS BROUGHT A NEW GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO
> >THINK WE WANT TO EAT SPAM. PLEASE IGNORE ALL OF THEM INCLUDING THIS
> >CROSS-POSTING SPAMMER. I WILL BE REPORTING THEM TO THEIR ISP
> >IMMEDIATELY.

> >Daniel Morgan
> >EXE Solutions
>

> I still disagree with you, Daniel, that people who are selling wares that may
> be of direct interest to the readers of this newsgroup should not be entitled
> to announce them .. once .. here. And it very frankly annoys me that
 you take
> it upon yourself to be bit-policeman for the world concerning this issue. I
> wish you'd just back off a little, and I wonder if others in this newsgroup
> feel the same?
>
> /mr/

I think that a short post referencing a web site or other source of information should be in order if it's a product directly related to object databases or done in response to a legitimate query . After all, this group was formed to discuss issues and developments in the field of object databases. We give an ear to the ORDBMS folks and inquisitive RDBMS users too. ODBC tools are kind of marginal. They're not designed to handle objects and only a few ODBMSs have production quality ODBC interfaces. Interestingly, the item mentioned the RDBMSs, but didn't reference any ODBMSs, so I suspect it hasn't been tried with one. Assuming that it's fully ODBC compliant, it should be able to access simple object data, but it may be clumsy at handling all of the components of an object.

Most people who want ODBC tools for their ODBMS would probably look elsewhere, but others might look here first. The item which drew criticism was a bit long for my liking, but all of us from the commercial side of the picture walk a fine line between being informative, collaborative and over-enthusiastic (product-wise). So....

Have a Happy New Year and let's watch out for the first vendor-independent ODMG query/report tool.

Leon Guzenda
Objectivity, Inc. Received on Fri Dec 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message