Re: Larger than 2G Raw partitions on 4.2 Dynix

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/12/23

In article <59jqhl$6lt_at_luberon.eurecom.fr>, Laurent P. Montaron <montaron_at_luberon.eurecom.fr> wrote:
>>If I read you post correctly you seem to be having problems creating
>>files of greater than 2 GB. This is a typical limit with 32 bit Oracle.
>
>There is no such limit with an up to date version of Oracle. You are
>probably referring to a PC version of Oracle? ptx versions are > 2GB
>capable.

Haven't been on a Sequent system since DYNIX was their OS so I can't commnet on PTX. Many 32 bit UNIXes have a 2 GB file limit size. This is due to the fact that lseek and ftell (section 2 of the man pages) use a signed 32 bit value for the position. That gives +/- 2 Gig.

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Mon Dec 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message