Oracle Sequences and Access 2.0 Forms

From: Tim Romano <tim_at_ot.com>
Date: 1996/12/22

Although it's possible to insert the NEXTVAL from an Oracle sequence on the back-end (i.e. in an ON INSERT trigger), I need to have the SEQUENCE.NEXTVAL available to my form at the BeforeInsert event. But one cannot attach the virtual table DUAL (SELECT mySEQ.NEXTVAL from DUAL), so it is not clear to me how to write an efficient Access Basic function that would retrieve the next value from the sequence. I suppose it would be possible to create and save a separate passthrough query for each sequence, and then call the query, but this seems a clumsy way to go. I wish there were a way to do an OpenRecordset with a PASSTHROUGH option. Is there? Any suggestions? Please cc: me at tim_at_ot.com Thanks,
Tim Received on Sun Dec 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message