Re: Users with same name

From: Peter C. Hugger <hugger_at_bms.com>
Date: 1996/12/19

tsmail_at_public.bta.net.cn wrote:

> Is there any way that can distinguish the client PCs with the same Oracle
> username? We have Oracle V7.2 and the environment of client PC is
> Windows3.1.

Starting with release 7.2, Oracle provides a mechanism for registering application information for each session logged into the database. Basically, this means that an application can call some procedure which sets some fields that show up in the V$SESSION table.

What's V$SESSION?
Most people can't even see the V$SESSION table, but the DBAs can. This table shows us things like: the username logged in, the node they connected from, the executable they are running, etc, but doesn't tell us anything about what the user is really doing.

The node information may be enough to ID the culprit. If not you can use this new 7.2 feature to register any information you want to help differentiate between clients.

(I'm NOT really this Smart - I stole this idea from one of my DBAs) PCH

Imagination is the highest      \|/
kite one can fly - LB          (_at_ @)
Peter C. Hugger            ```       '''
(609)252-4513
HUGGER_at_BMS.COM
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Pharmaceutical Research Institute
Scientific Information Systems
Applications Development Group Received on Thu Dec 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message