Re: Reports - Windows vs. Unix. Compatibility

From: Larry Baker <larry_baker_at_sdt.com>
Date: 1996/12/11

Ray Levi wrote:
> we are seeing considerable differences in the formatting
> of the reports. We are finding that we have to increase the dimensions
> of the fields at a minimum of 30%, sometimes much more to prevent data
> from being truncated.

I'm guessing that you've been using a different laser printer on the Windows
platform than the one you've got hooked up to the AIX box. That probably means
that the two printers have different fonts, hence different font metrics (sizes).
That would account for the differences in formatting. Another alternative is that
the PostScript "preamble" distributed with the AIX box is different, perhaps using
a different font name or different default font size.

How to fix? Try connecting the same exact printer you've been using on the
Windows machines to your AIX box and see if the formatting problems don't go away.
If that doesn't work, then I'd start looking for differences in either the
PostScript preamble, or the generated PostScript (try using diff on the generated files from the two machines).

Hope this helps,

Larry Baker
SABRE Decision Technologies Received on Wed Dec 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message