Re: Bit-Mapped Indexing Routines---Beta Testers Wanted

From: David Walrath <walrath_at_sybase.com>
Date: 1996/12/10

ZOD wrote:

> I thought it was "bitWISE" indexing not "bitmapped" indexing. Please
> correct me on this.
>
> Bill Gfroehrer...

Bitmap indexes are the generic term for the technology.

Sybase usues the term "bitwise" indexing to differentiate the high-cardinality bitmap index technology in its Sybase IQ data warehousing product from the more common low-cardinality bitmapping indexes available in other products. (See www.sybase.com et al...)

Incidentally, I wonder what the original poster meant by bitmap indexes being "relatively new" in databases. Low cardinality bitmap indexes were in Model 204 well over 20 years ago, so maybe he/she meant relative to punch-card databases ?

DEW

David E. Walrath		walrath_at_sybase.com
Sybase IQ			77 S. Bedford St, Burlington, MA 01803

Opinions are my own; my employer doesn't want them. Received on Tue Dec 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message