Re: [Q] DBNAME length > 4 characters ?

From: Stephen A Tahmosh <tahmossx_at_itd.ssb.com>
Date: 1996/12/09

It is possible to have an instance name longer than 4 characters. The issue is portability across operating systems. I have not encountered an os which can't support eight character instance names, but AIX (IBM) cannot support greater than eight characters (I believe there might be a workaround, but I don't think it's worth the bother). I have worked with Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.

Steve
:Huy Vu <huyv_at_usa.net> wrote:
;>I would like to know if it is acceptable or not to have the instance
;>name length longer than 4 characters?
;>
;>Oracle version 7.1.4 and 7.1.6
;>O/S : Irix 5.3 and Aix 4.1.4
;>
;>And is it possible or not to rename a instance with oracle?
;>
;>Thank you for any help.
;>--
;>Huy Vu Mitech Computer Systems inc. Email: huyv_at_usa.net
;> Tel: (514)340-9951 ext:315 Fax: (514) 340-9956

Steve Tahmosh
State Street Bank Received on Mon Dec 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message