Re: Coalesce prior to Version 7.3

From: Peter Worthington <hayden_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/12/09

John Durst wrote:

> I remember a while back using an alter system (or alter session?) command
> to coalesce a tablespace in versions prior to 7.3. I called oracle
> support and they said there was no such option prior to 7.3. I know I am
> not crazy (or at least not mistaken) so does anyone know what the command
> is. It had something to do with specifying the file# of the datafile if I
> recall correctly.
>
> Thanx,
> John Durst

John,
  I remembered the same thing and did a little search of my email   archive and came up with this. It was in a file I have more a few   of the undocumented commands for Oracle. However, I havent tested   it yet. Hope this helps.

  Coalescing free space

  SMON will not defragment free space in any tablespace which has the   default storage parameter "pctincrease" set to 0.   Oracle will include a tablespace defragment command in Oracle 7.3, until   then use:

  SQL> alter session set events 'immediate trace name coalesce level n';

  where 'n' is the tablespace number you get from SELECT TS#, NAME FROM   SYS.TS$;