Re: Coalescing and PCTINCREASE

From: Your Name <Yourname_at_somwhere.COM>
Date: 1996/12/07

In article <589heo$6k2_at_newsgate.duke.edu>, ghubert_at_acpub.duke.edu says...

>I've been following the thread on Coalescing and PCTINCREASE.
>There seems to be an implication that it is often desirable for
>PCTINCREASE to be 0. Could someone confirm if this is so and
>briefly explain why?
>
>Thanks for your attention,
>
>gene hubert

Well, consider this simple example. You have a table which has an initial and next extent size of 500K, and pctincrease 50. The third extent will be 750K, the fourth 1125K, the fifth 1687K... you can see where this is going. Assuming a "normally fragmented" (perhaps a non-sequitor, I grant you) database, it doesn't take long to exceed the biggest available extent. In many cases you want to control the number and size of the extents without having them increase on you - for example, when striping across multiple OS files to take advantage of parallel query option.

Dave Kreines
Director of Member Services, IOUG-A
DBA, Rhone-Poulenc, Inc. Received on Sat Dec 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message