Reorg. database - tips

From: Alberto Rivera <arivera4_at_sargelt1.ba.ford.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

I'm planning to reorganize the database: Oracle 7.2.3 on AIX 4.1 I will perform the folling steps:

  1. Export (full) and backup offline database
  2. Start up database in NO archivelog mode
  3. Defragment some tables and tablespaces with export/import
  4. Regenerate all indexes
  5. Analyze all tables and indexes

I want to do some improvments in order to perform this tasks faster, but I'm not sure if this wil work well:

  1. Create a special init.ora file with some changes:
    • Increase sort_area_size (more memory for create index)
    • Decrease db_block_buffers and shared_pool_size (free space for sort_area_size, besides not used in sequential access)
  2. Create a big temporary tablespace A big temporary area could create indexes more compacted ?? Extent size equal to sort_area_size could improve performance ?? How estimate the space analyze will require ??
  3. Create index with UNRECOVERABLE option It will not create redo log records, what happens if the create index fails ??

Any help or suggestion you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alberto Rivera Received on Thu Dec 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message