Oracle vs Informix comparison

From: peggy <ptsui_at_aptnet.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

HI everybody:

NOTE: this is being posted on behalf of someone else.

We are in the middle of planning the implementation of a new enterprise system for our company with approximately: 1500 users + including various remote locations on the WAN such as it is.

Most of our usage will be transaction based namely select, insert and updates. No Warehousing yet at this stage.

How do Oracle and Informix stack up in terms of:
- number of concurrent users

  • stability of their RDBMS servers
  • stability of their connectivity components
  • standard SQL
  • Replication and syncronization capabilities to remote sites
  • Level of difficulty in maintainig and supporting the Oracle server vs. Informix server
  • Learning curve associated with the above products for DBA and sql users
  • the kind of support to expect from their support staff or do we have to depend on the net to answer most of our questions
  • How often do we run into bugs in their software

Please excuse my ignorance and if possible please spare the flames. Also please send all responses directly to my e-mail: iac_at_frc.com

Thanks a lot. All positive feedback is appreciated and if requested will summarize
and post it to the requested newsgroups. Received on Thu Dec 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message