Re: Database Cannot Start

From: Eric Byrnes <LNUSMCD.NZJDDV_at_eds.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

Sim Thiam Soon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We lost one of the system control file. This result in the database not
> able to startup after it was brought down. This problem occurs 3 times
> this year.
>
> Oracle helpdesk recommends to reinstall Oracle and create new databases.
> This results in the loss of all data. We have backup all system files as
> well as data files the day before.
>
> What is the best way to get the database up?
>
> Anyone can help?

There are several possibilities:

  1. Use your daily backups (obviously). The database must have been closed at the time that all of its files were backed up for this to work. If this is not the case, your backups of the database are useless. You simply restore all the database, log, and control files, and you should be able to restart. You will, however, lose all the data since the last backup was done.
  2. If you have several control files in your config.ora file, they will all be kept up to date. If one file is lost, simply delete the reference to it in the config.ora file, and restart. (You would probably want to copy the bad controlfile with a good one using the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE command - see the server documentation).
  3. With Oracle 7, you can use the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE command (see the server doco) to create a file containing the SQL commands needed to rebuild the control files. You can also directly use the CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE ... command to recreate a control file.

Some additional info on your database version, etc. might help in picking an
approach.

Eric Received on Thu Dec 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message