Re: How to name inline constraints using Designer 2000

From: Chester West II <cwest2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/12/04

John Elliott <elliotjs_at_dmdcwest.fmp.osd.mil> wrote:

>Using Designer 2000 (v1.2a) ER diagrammer you can specify a list of allowable
>values for a given attribute in an entity. After you have your ER model just
>the way you want it you can use the database design wizard to generate the
>table candidates. The allowable values specified for an attribute carry down
>to the columns in these tables.

>This is fine, however when using the Generate SQL DDL utility these allowable
>values get turned into unnamed inline constraints. Running the generated DDL
>results in a bunch of SYS_Cnnnnnn named constraints. How can I get Designer
>2000 to name these constraints? If this is not possible, what are the
>workarounds?
>Your help is very much appreciated,

>John Elliott
>elliotjs_at_dmdcwest.fmp.osd.mil

I would probably do the same thing that Sridhar suggested, and write an API utility. It would basically look for your allowable values and create named constraints for each (i.e. CHK_VAL_columnname). It is a shortcoming of D2K!

Chet West
Tactics Inc (BAP)
http://www.tacticsus.com Received on Wed Dec 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message