Re: Crystal Reports from Forms

From: Larry Baker <larry_baker_at_sdt.com>
Date: 1996/12/03

Kevin Muhm wrote:
> Save your time - the crystal.vbx is not compatible with Forms 4.5. I have
> discovered that very few vbx contols are. I am attaching an email that I got from
> someone who has invoked Crystal Reports from Forms, but I can't vouch for this
> method since I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for posting your response, especially the attached mail message. I have a related question that it sounds like you may be in a good position
to answer.

I am currently designing a system that may have to have some specialized graphical displays "embedded" on a form. There seem to be several approaches,
none of which I have any feel for in forms 4.5:

  1. use Oracle Graphics. Last I heard there were problems with this.
  2. Write a VBX. But we're running W95/NT, with (I presume) 32-bit versions of Forms 4.5; if so, then is it still possible to write a VBX that's compatible with 32-bit Forms?
  3. Write an OLE Custom Control. Seems complicated, don't know how well Forms 4.5 supports OLE.
  4. As your attached mail suggests, write a DDE server (my current favorite) applet that the form somehow starts under Windows when the user requests that specific kind of specialized display.
  5. Write an OCX. Don't know if Forms 4.5 supports OCXs.

If you have any insights or commentary on any of the above approaches, I will be very, very grateful.

Larry Baker
SABRE Decision Technologies Received on Tue Dec 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message