Re: import and export question

From: <vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl>
Date: 1996/12/02

In article <329D9205.3430_at_mns.bt.co.uk>, Glenn Berry <glenn.berry_at_mns.bt.co.uk> writes:
>Limin Guo wrote:
>> I need to transfer oracle data from sequent ptx 2.1.5 platform to sun
>> solaris 2.4. My quesion is whether or not both platforms have to run
>> same oracle release version? How about if oracle 7.1.6 on sequent and
>> oracle 7.2.3 on sun?
>
>In my experience, (on VAX/VMS) you can export/import from low version to
>high version, but you can't do it in reverse.

In my experience (on OpenVMS VAX and AXP) you can, but you need to do two things:
1) Create the export views of the lower version in the database of the higher version.
2) Use the EXP-utility of the lower version and a connection through SQL*Net to make the export.

Good luck !

| Peter J.R. Vermaat | Dutch Department of Agriculture | Wageningen |

| p.j.r.vermaat_at_fd.agro.nl | http://www.agro.nl/~vermaat/ |
|                           Flagellant in Dreamland                            |