Re: [Q] what benefit I get from NOARCHIVELOG ???

From: Peter Wales <paw_at_bulmer.com>
Date: 1996/12/01

N Prabhakar wrote:

> duffy_at_cais.cais.com (MCC) writes: > I knew it is very danger if I don't setup Archive redo log mode? My
> > friend told me change from "Archivelog mode" to "Noarchivelog mode"
> > performance will improve a lot. Is it true? What other benefit I can get
> > from "noarchivelog" ? Thank you for help.
>
> Hi there,
>
> Performance will definitely improve. In addition to that, you will gain
> lot of disk space, as archive files are not generated.
>
> Disk I/O rate will improve.
>
> Since online backup cannot be performed, you may save lot of
> storage space on the tape.
>
> The only thing you can rely is on Offline backup or Logical backup.
>
> Regards
>
> N.Prabhakar

Yes, but you must be careful. Your database will certainly "go faster" but it's not as simple as that.
Take the scenario where one of you very reliable disks fails. (Ok, so if you've got raid/mirroring it's less likey, but belive me it can still happen).
With no archived logs, you just load your last backup and shrug your shoulders at loosing all transcations since this backup was taken. If you've got archived logs, you can load your last backup, do a recover database and re-apply all your "lost" transcations for the log files.

Therefore, It just really depends on how important your transactions are.

Regards,

Peter.

| Peter Wales                                                   |
| IT Operational Services                                       |
| HP Bulmer Ltd            "The Worlds Largest Cider Maker"     |
| MailTo:PAW_at_bulmer.com          http://www.bulmer.com          |