Re: Oracle case senseitivity??

From: Yasuhiro Ushitaki <ushi_at_po.globe.or.jp>
Date: 1996/11/30

Hi, this is additional informations.

Greg Clark <gregc_at_qualatex.com> wrote:
>We are building our first PB app and Oracle db. Our question is, if we
>mix case in nameing db columns will oracle require our app or other
>reporting tools to use the correct case mixture?

N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg> wrote in article <56uqtp$20p_at_newton.pacific.net.sg>...
> Within Oracle dictionary, all the database objects are stored in upper
> case. For example if you create a table called 'emp'. then it is stored
 in
> UPPER case.
>
> Normally ORACLE is case in-sensitive as far data dictionary is concerned.

> You can reference 'emp' table as EMP, emp, Emp.

This is correct on normally Oracle,but Oracle is case sensitive on case of using double quating name. Ahhh, I had troubled with ODBC and MS-Querry, cause of they use double quating namings!! PLS be careful,be careful!!

You can understand this behavior on ORACLE by trying following SQL.

CREATE TABLE emp (a int, b int);

CREATE TABLE "emp"(a int, b int); -- returns successful !!
INSERT INTO EMP VALUES(1,1);  -- (1)
INSERT INTO emp VALUES(2,2);  -- (2)

INSERT INTO "emp" VALUES(3,3); -- (3)
SELECT * FROM EMP; -- returns (1) and (2), but (3) SELECT * FROM "emp"; -- returns only (3)

This behavior is not for only table-name, but for all objects-name including column-name.

--
Yasuhiro Ushitaki / Toyo Information Systems Co.,Ltd.