Re: Date as key or part of a key.

From: Francisco Piragibe <webmaster_at_esquadro.com.br>
Date: 1996/11/29

Dates are a lot like numbers, Mohamed. Thus, the performance is comparable to that of tables having numbers as part of their primary keys. I have experienced no degradation when using dates as keys, but I've never used OO tools as front ends. I dare say that any problem here is much more likely to be related to the front end tools than to the ORACLE engine itself.

--
Francisco C. P. de Almeida
consultant/ webmaster

Mohamed Nasser <mohamed_at_descartes.com> escreveu no artigo
<329CAFAB.41D8_at_descartes.com>...

> Hello:
>
> I am wondering if anyone is running an application that
has a "Date" as
> the primary key or correctly part of a concatenated
primary key. If so
> how is the performance of such a key (assuming high
transactions level).
> I am particularly interested if this design is being used
with an OO
> Tool as the front end.
> Julian dates and Database functions /procedures may not
be a desired
> solution in my case. If alternate keys were used how was
conversion