Re: RMS Gateway Question

From: Rao <rao_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/11/28

>G'day

>We have a database system written in Fortran 77 based on VAX/VMS RMS
>files. We want to develop an EIS and adhoc query system over the top,
>but don't want to go to the extent of porting the RMS files to a
>relational database.

>Does anyone have any experience/feelings with the gateway solution
>provided by Oracle for this requirement ?

>Are there any better solutions ?

>Thanks for your help,

>Mike

There is another company some where in Seatle, US providing ODBC access to RMS files. If you have access to VAX/Software listings, you can find out very easily.

About performance, it depends on how often you are reading those files. Also depends on the EIS, types of joins.

If feasible and OK, use daily imports to database from RMS files. Croos joins are problematic if you are using RMS and other databases such as RDB or Oracle. Received on Thu Nov 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message