Re: Reorganizing the SYSTEM tablespace & Recreating the Database

From: Gary Piper <gpiper_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1996/11/28

AdminDBA wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I see 3 or 4 fragments in my SYSTEM Tablespace in one DB(7.2.3) on
> HP9000 and using two datafiles for SYSTEM Tablespace in another
> DB(7.2.3) on Sun platform. I want to reorganize both the SYSTEM
> tablespaces(in both the DBs). I know that the only way to reorg the
> SYSTEM tablespace is by recreating the entire DB.
>
> I would like to know the exact procedure, gotchas, etc. before I start
> doing
> it. I would appreciate if you can share your experiences.
>
> Thank you for your knowledge and also for sharing it.
>
> **** H A V E A G R E A T T H A N K S G I V I N G ****
>
> --Anand (ananda_at_mcs.com)

Anand,

Having 3 or 4 fragments in your system tablespace and / or having two system tablespace should not warrant database rebuilds.

For database 1 ( 3 or 4 Frags )
Unless you are prepared to change the default storage parameters for the system tablespace, not recommended by Oracle. A database reorg will not remove the fragments.

For database 2 ( Two datafiles )
A reorg will, providing you increase the size of the system datafile, reduce the number of data files.

>**** H A V E A G R E A T T H A N K S G I V I N G ****

I question why you would want to spend thanks giving reorging databases when they appear from your description not to need it.

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gpiper/