Re: Optimizing Forms 4.5 network access

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1996/11/28

ken_at_edm.isac.ca (Ken Bobey) wrote:
>I'm looking for information on how to optimize Forms 4.5 applications to
>run over wide area networks. Specifically, some of the things of interest:
>
>- how to reduce network traffic and network delays
>- trade-offs for maintaining a robust client (e.g., validation)
>- tuning Forms 4.5 using property settings

Hi there,

I think the following tips would be useful.

  1. Set the AUTO_REFRESH of LOV to false. This will cause LOV to load only once and thereafter it will use the memory instead of requerying the data from the database.
  2. Set LOV_VALIDATION to TRUE. This will cause all user entered values to be validated from LOV. This will prevent an extra ON-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger.
  3. For check constraints, use DROP DOWN LIST BOX instead of validating against a database.
  4. In case of master detail block, set AUTO_QUERY to false. This is because it will prevent forms from querying detail records for every master record.

On some occassions, the user might be interested only in master records. Therefore querying detail records can be avoided.

5. Try to take maximum advantage of stored procedures to perform all heavy duty operations.

6. Try to use THIN CLIENT architecture as opposed to THICK CLIENT

I hope the above would be useful.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Thu Nov 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message