Re: Delphi Query/Table filters and Oracle

From: John Parrott <spo_at_interlog.com>
Date: 1996/11/27

ryan_at_in.aix.or.jp wrote:

> How can I filter the result of a TQuery/Table on an Oracle Database
> EXACT match filters work, e.g.
> username='tom'
> WILDCARD filters dont work
> username='t*'
> or
> username='t%'
> or
> username='t?'

> Question : Can filters be used on ORACLE tables ? I can get these working
> on local tables (NOT Oracle).
> Any Ideas ?
>
> Also
> What is the difference in filtering the result of a TQuery, e.g
> nusrname='a*'
> and
> putting USERNAME LIKE 'a*', in the SQL statement ?
>
> TIA
> Mike.

The big difference between using a Query with LIKE and filters is that with a Query the database is actually doing the filtering. You submit a query and the server returns a result set.

With Delphi filters, the BDE is doing all the work. So if you had a query that said

select * from tblname

then set a filter

fld1 = 'TEST'

Oracle would return all records in the table but the BDE (Delphi) would only show you the records with fld1 = TEST.

So although I'm not posititve, the filters should be server indepedent and work the same for everything.

--
John Parrott
Elysium Financial Systems