Re: How to name inline constraints using Designer 2000

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1996/11/26

John Elliott <elliotjs_at_dmdcwest.fmp.osd.mil> wrote:
>Using Designer 2000 (v1.2a) ER diagrammer you can specify a list of allowable
>values for a given attribute in an entity. After you have your ER model just
>the way you want it you can use the database design wizard to generate the
>table candidates. The allowable values specified for an attribute carry down
>to the columns in these tables.
>
>This is fine, however when using the Generate SQL DDL utility these allowable
>values get turned into unnamed inline constraints. Running the generated DDL
>results in a bunch of SYS_Cnnnnnn named constraints. How can I get Designer
>2000 to name these constraints? If this is not possible, what are the
>workarounds?
>
>Your help is very much appreciated,
>
>John Elliott
>elliotjs_at_dmdcwest.fmp.osd.mil

Hi there,

Instead of specifying check constraints, you can try using allowable value constraint at the column level. This will essentially replace all the sys_c0000 constraints with a value constraint name which can be specified. But it does not include the NOT NULL constraint.

I am not sure what is your problem in leaving the check constraint as it is. Please remember that NOT NULL fields in a table has got a corresponding SYS_C00 constraint.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Tue Nov 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message