Re: Quality of college education, am I being properly prepared?

From: Frances Edelstein <rbs_at_super.zippo.com>
Date: 1996/11/26

In article <E18ptA.CDL_at_freenet.buffalo.edu>, bz176_at_freenet.buffalo.edu says...
> Hello All,
> My name is Rene Rodriguez and I am a college Junior Transfer. My new
> school is teaching it's Database Management course using:
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.5.1
> Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.5.2.3
> with PL/SQL Release 2.1.5.2.0
>
> The question I would like answered: Am I being properly prepared for
 real
> world experiences. My school is running Oracle on a VAX/VMS alpha
> environment instead of using DOS, OS/2, Windows or Macintosh operating
> systems.

Oracle is Oracle regardless of the environment. The most important thing you can learn in college is how to solve problems. Software and hardware change constantly - you'll continue to learn and adapt throughout your career.

That said, it would be good if your college provided the front end tools to you on Windows (client-server concepts should be part of the curriculum). You also should learn UNIX along the way even though VAX/VMS is a much friendlier system to use and many companies still use it - its batch facilities often make it a better choice than UNIX.

Good Luck!

Fran Received on Tue Nov 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message