Re: Newbie Oracle Question

From: Robert W. Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1996/11/26

Robert M. Blake wrote:

> This might be a stupid question but:
>
> I've got Oracle 7.2.3 installed and running fine on an HP-UX 10.1 HP9000
> Unix box without a problem. Everyone's connected on the same segment of
> a good 'ol Ethernet network.
>
> Most of my clients are going to be running on Windows 95 PC's using
> Sql*Net 2 with TCP/IP.
>
> My question is do I need to install that Sql*Net2 seperately on all the
> PC's or is their some way they can share a network install and just keep
> the various Oracle .ini files local. I want to avoid having to walk
> around to install and administer 100 PC's.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Robert M. Blake
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Structured Computer Systems
> rmb_at_mail.scsinfo.com
> (860) 677-0222 x 66
> ------------------------------------------------Yes, you can do this.

It's been a while since I have set this up, but I'm pretty sure that this is the process...

  1. Install the software onto a network drive from a Windows 95 machine. This will put the software on the the network drive, create various program groups on your PC, and populate the registry with Oracle related entries.
  2. Run REGEDIT and export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE section to a registry file. Copy that registry file to the network.
  3. From each machine that you want to use the software, do this:
  4. Run the registry file created in step 2 to populate the registry on the local machine.
  5. Run the Oracle Installer and click on the 'Restore Icon's button. This will rebuild your program groups.

Note that if you add software to the network directory, your users' registries and program groups will not get updated, so there is still maintenance involved for each client.

--
Bob Swisshelm
Eli Lilly and Company