Re: How to tell if listener is up on HP-UX?

From: Oscar Martins <oscar_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: 1996/11/25

Hi,

Try to do following tests,
1. Test if listener is up with command lsnrctl status 2. If you can access DB from other machine with $sqlplus user/pass_at_connect_string
you can just cut and paste the connect string definition in the tnsnames.ora ($ORACLE_HOME\network\admin) file in this machine to tnsnames.ora in NT machine.
3. If you donĀ“t have a DNS you have to define the HOST name in the hosts file in NT

   (%NT_root%\system32\drivers\etc). You should ping this host from NT.

I hope this help,

Best Regards,

Oscar Martins
oscar_at_mail.telepac.pt

John Emmerling <user95_at_nugnu.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in article <577lo1$1t3_at_post.gsfc.nasa.gov>...
> Hi:
>
> I am trying to use SQL*Net on Windows NT 3.51 to connect to an Oracle DB
> instance (on which I have a username and password) which is on an HP-UX
 host.
> My attempts to connect have so far failed. I tried using tnsping, and
 the
> response I got was "no listener" from TNS.
>
> I have tried to run tnsping on the HP-UX side, however I don't seem to be
> supplying the correct arguments. I don't have any special privilege on
 the
> HP-UX side (other than normal user), I have administrator rights on the
 NT